Optimizing Your Business Practices - Without Significant IT Investment
The current economic times have not only impacted most everyone personally, but many have also seen their work environment change – deﬁnitely healthcare. “Meaningful Use” has forced investment and aggressive implementation timelines for electronic health records (EHRs) – challenging resource allocation in areas / systems that are on the fringe of the EHR.
Departments including perioperative services often are being required to “hold tight” with current software solutions or implemented functionality. . . but this can be an opportunity. During implementation of their perioperative information system, many hospitals do not adequately align business practices with software strengths.
-Analyze and Challenge-
Where’s the Biggest Bang for the Buck? Each environment will differ, but improvements in the following business functions can have signiﬁcant payback.
- Patient Scheduling
- How long does it take to post a case?
How many phone calls occur between case posting and case performance – internally and externally?
How many times is the patient schedule printed? What Quantity?
- Conﬂict Checking
- Limited capital $$s for new equipment & instrumentation necessitates efﬁciency in managing your resources.
Do you know how many “ORTHO MAJOR” sets exist?
Is the limitation contributing to lengthy turnovers or case delays?
- Supply Requisitioning
- How dependent are you on the skills of speciﬁc staff to ensure product availability?
Is there opportunity for a reduction in inventory levels?
- Data Validity / Reporting
- Do you really know if your system provides accurate reporting?
It’s 2019 – can you perform detailed procedure costing?
- Preference Cards
- Why are they still incorrect?
Is your maintenance structure ﬂawed?
Who should be accountable?
- Clinical Documentation
- Are the data capture errors driven by bad design or potentially an inaccurate database?
Is a peer review process in place?
Does your nursing and anesthesia documentation processes capture redundant data?
- Item File Accuracy
- Are obsolete items still in the database?
Are speciﬁc elements such as each cost readily available?
There are numerous areas of opportunity beyond the samples provided – if you need a fresh perspective we can help. We offer a number of tailored solutions that require minimal investment and risk sharing options are available.